Friday 29 January 2016

Updates on my Brother's Pride and Bahia book

This book on the Brother's Pride and Bahia was the one I had the most emails about.  It can still be purchased on Amazon.  It was a horrendous journey and everyone who had an ancestor on that ship seemed to know something about it or their ancestors being on there.  So I have a LOT more information.  I may do an update some time in the future, but at the moment I am so busy with children and photography.  So here are the updates I have received.  Apologies to those who wanted their information in a new edition.  It may still happen in the future but will be a while!  In the meantime there is this page of updates!

Bahia

LARCOMBE

I met a lady recently who told me the name Scarcombe on the ship Bahia passenger list, printed in the newspapers, was a massive mistake.   "It is hard to follow up on names when they are misspelt.  I was stuck about the Larcombe Family for years as I refused to believe that it was them written Scarcombe.  With experience I discovered that L and S are often transcribed wrongly."  (courtesy Jenny Mayne).

Brother's Pride

BANTON

Henry Banton aged 22 was a passenger on the "Brother's Pride" to New Zealand.  He emigrated after the death of his parents Henry Banton (a baker), and Jane Megee, both buried in the Church grounds at Presbury, Cheshire in 1861/62.  Henry travelled with his first wife Mary (nee Foden), an "infant" who was 6 month old Henry and Mary's brother James Foden.  Henry's younger brother John Banton came on the "David G. Fleming" arriving on 8 December 1863.

Henry worked at Anderson's Foundary for over 60 years.  He was a "highly skilled machinist and it is claimed for him that he helped to turn out some of the best work that was ever produced in this country."  He died 22 May 1926 aged 86 and was buried in Bromley Cemetery. (courtesy of Helen Cornick)


SPARKES

"Secondly, and more importantly is that my family owes its existence to the survival of the Sparkes [note with an e], being direct descendants.  I cannot tell you a great deal about them but you may be interested to know that far from being daunted by the trip they turned round and sailed back to England.  They missed what London had to offer.  Four years later they arrived back again on the 'Glenmark', November 1867, determined to make the most of Christchurch.  William Sparkes was actually a Shakespearean actor who used his set-making skills to describe himself a carpenter, a more desirable trade for winning an assisted passage, [or two].  Two of his daughters later married two brothers in another of my family lines."  (courtesy Lex Calder)



No comments:

Post a Comment